Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Things I Don't Do and Won't Feel Guilty About It!

Have you ever looked at another mother and thought to yourself "WOW! She can do it all! I wish my house was as clean as her's. I wish my garden was as pretty as her's. I wish we could afford to shop at the mall or I wish I was clever enough to shop at Goodwill and find all the great bargains. I wish I had patience to do crafts or cook with my kids. I wish I got up before the butt crack of dawn and exercised, had my quiet time, and now am on my 3rd pot of coffee."?

Well, STOP! Not every mother is the same! God created us to be different. I mean, really, how boring would it be to be the same and do the same and look the same. Oh man, that would get old real fast!

So, I stumbled upon a great blog that if you don't already follow her, you should. The blog is called The Diaper Diaries. Check it out. But there was a specific blog post that I stumbled upon that got me all excited. That post is called Top Ten Tuesdays-Top Ten Things I Don't Do. After reading this post I was ready to relief myself of any guilt I had of the things that I don't do.

So, below is my list of things I don't do. I only have 8, I haven't come up with 2 more, but maybe I will soon. Anyway, I encourage you to read the blog post mentioned above and make your own list of things you don't do. It's okay to not be the mom that seems to do it all. My mom was the mom that had it all together, so I thought, but I learned as I became a woman that even my mom had some things that just weren't all together. So, be encouraged that you are not the only mother that has those crazy days and tough spots to go through. We all have that in our life!

So, here is my list:

1. Garden: My mom is a gardener. I remember helping her when I was a little girl and most of the time I loved it. Now as an adult, I would love to have beautiful flowers for all who drive by to say “oooh and aaaah” over but really, I have three small children and if I can’t hardly get the dishes done then there is no way that flowers are going to be at the top of my list. :)
2. Shopping at the mall:  I used to hate this when I was a child/teenager because my mom would drag me to goodwill all the time and I almost despised her because of it, not quite though. Nowadays, I don’t shop at goodwill on a regular basis, I generally go to Walmart and garage sales, but I do go to goodwill and find some great deals!
3. Dust: My mom was a stickler for dusting when I was growing up and I hated that! But her house was always amazingly looking great! After you have picked up the same room and the same toys hundreds of times, the dusting is not that big of an importance!
4. Anything before 8 am: I love my sleep! I only get up because I have kids. If I didn’t have children I would sleep and sleep and sleep and stuff my face in between! lol I would love to get up before the crack of dawn and exercise, have a quiet time, and get half the house chores done but again, I LOVE to sleep! My mother was great for this one, she was always up at like 5 am and by the time I rolled out of bed she was on her 3rd pot of coffee (okay not sure it was her 3rd pot of coffee but whatever!)
5. Exercise on a regular basis:  I would love to have a regular routine of exercising, my mother again was great with this one, but wow! My life changes so much from one minute to the next. Well, maybe having a schedule would help with that, but yeah know, I am just not there yet!
6. Cooking/Baking with my kids: That is a great Grandma activity! I do not have the patience to have my babies in my small kitchen with me always under my feet. I do my best to let them help with mac n cheese but I usually have the mentality that “I can do this quicker without you under my feet, so please stay out of my way”.
7. Crafts with my kids: Again another great Grandma activity. I love crafts! I love to scrapbook, umm, when I find time! But I hate cleaning up my own mess from the crafts, why do I want to clean up 10 times more of a mess. Now, don’t get me wrong, we color and draw and stuff like that. I am talking about crafts that have glitter and glue and messy things like that! However we are going to make cute little Gobble Gobble Plate Cards for Thanksgiving dinner and there are 7 materials on this list. Check it out here http://www.scholastic.com/parents and in the search bar put Gobble Gobble Place Card.
8. Make a monthly menu: My husband wants to do this and really so do I but it takes so much brain power to do it. I am sure that it would help us out tremendously but I just haven’t found a good system that works.
Now, I know it sounds like I don't want to be my mother, but that isn't true. When I grow up I wanna be just like my mom! I admire her so much! 
So, now, go make your list and feel liberated! 
As always, I pray this post finds you happy and healthy. God bless you and your family!

3 comments:

  1. I am there with you! How come every mom can bake perfectly and I suck? I have given up and I am not guilty. My husband can go to his moms for apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well . . . . just remember what all of those expectations of "perfection" did to your mama! I am so proud of you that you have learned some of these lessons early in your mothering career. I wish I would have had someone tell me that it was OK - and that I was OK - if I couldn't do it all. But, since that was the message I was hearing all around me, that's what I tried to do . . . . and mostly succeeded, until it nearly killed me! Keep up the good work, and be who you are, be the mama that God has called YOU to be, and nevermind what everyone else says or thinks. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for entering my giveaway for Rockin' Green. You have a great blog! I am now a follower =)

    ReplyDelete